(May 1st, me-made skirt)
I have signed myself up for the rigorous challenge of Me-Made-May ’12, the brainchild of the marvellous Zoe where one seeks to wear self-stitched clothes for the month of May but defines their own challenge. My pledge went a little something like this:
‘I, Lotte, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’12. I endeavour to wear at least one article of me-made clothing and the rest New Zealand-made each day for the duration of May 2012’.
In reality the last few days have been freezing cold and I have had to do without my merino long sleeve tops from Glassons, which are – yes – made in China. Basically I knew as much about this gaping hole in my me-made/NZ-made wardrobe, I just wasn’t expecting it to get so cold. My bottom-half is sorted though: undies made by my neighbour, Columbine tights and Minnie Cooper shoes.
I will admit though that already I have cheated. Or rather, added another ‘genre’ of clothing: op-shopped items that are not made in China. While not gifting me any get-out-of-jail layers of merino, there are a few warm British-made things I own that I hope to bust out. This is certainly a learning curve! I’m not beating myself up about already bending the rules, but perhaps with more preparation I can be a little closer to my ideal by the end of the month.
Meanwhile, back to the outfit photos…
May 3rd – a plush me-made dress and a me-made wool coat.
This is my newest creation: a pattern from my Built By Wendy Dresses book sewn up in a wool/angora blend with super-super cuddliness. I made the shift dress pattern up for Clementine for her birthday (more on that when I’ve adjusted the shoulders to fit her) and this is the dirndl pattern. I was a bit sneaky and just cut out the pattern pieces on the Large line, then stitched on the Medium line, effectively giving it a 5mm seam allowance. It fits, it works, sort of. The important thing is that the dress is made, instead of my waiting for a spare moment in which to draft a pattern. The lace was from the Salvation Army and I sat in the kitchen at Playcentre tacking it on last Friday, finishing it in Rata’s room that afternoon.
What I love about the Built By Wendy patterns is that they are so quick to sew up. I need to make the bodice of the dirndl dress a little longer as the waist is too high and my belt just won’t stay up there (for this dress I will make some loops to hold it up there). I intend to whip up my “chips dress” this weekend, and I think the dirndl will work well with the cotton knit, though the skirt will be something more robust.
Despite the woolly nature of the dress, I was actually quite cold all day, possibly because the sleeves are short, and the neckline low. Getting booted off the train a station early and having to wait for the bus replacement in the bitterly cold frosty air was not pleasant. I need some goodly sourced merino, or at the very least the internal thermostat of a preschooler…