… in which we make a shelf out of bricks as the first part of the Great Sewing Room Tidy-Up. Surely, having only lived here a month, the sewing room would still be moderately tidy? Well, short answer: no. Gradually, while things have been unpacked and projects started, the amount of storage in the room remains at nil, so things are just starting to pile up, mostly on the table. The amount of space to work in depends on how much stuff I am willing to move onto the floor. But yesterday I noticed the old kitchen cupboards in my potting shed (yes, a room for every hobby!) had drawers which would make good shelves for the wall above my desk. I’m waiting for the drill battery to charge so I can hang them up. In the meantime, I have occupied myself with this…
I found the bricks around the garden, and the wood came from the attic of the other house my landlords own (moguls!). Those tins, filled with threads and notions, will probably end up above the desk, and no doubt there will soon be a cup of tea (or two) in their place, beside my computer.
I had kinda hoped that I would be able to empty at least one box of fabric onto the new shelf; alas, this is almost entirely new acquisitions and current projects. I might have to add an extra layer or three.
This strange looking contraption is for ironing sleeves and fiddly things – found at the Otaki opshop for just $1. I haven’t used it yet, but many times have I wished for one at various pernickety ironing moments. That yellow fabric to the right will very shortly be a pair of leggings each for Rata and I, and the outer shell of her warm wintery singlets. Shortly, as in, right at the end of this sentence. Stop.