The dust jackets of those books what I butcher have finally found a place in my production line!
I’ve had this idea for a while, using up those scraps from the larger bookmaking adventures, with a single stitched folio to make a teeny notebook. Yesterday I had a chance to go through the piles of paper, though it was really a case of finding the scraps first, when I wanted to finish a pile of books half-made from last November.
The idea of using dust jackets struck when WANDERLUST GOES SOUTH turned up in the pile just when I was wondering what piece of paper would work as a cover. And POW! suddenly the whole venture came together. As far as adding a string to the old book binding bow, it (now) makes sense to use the dust jackets (or thin covers unsuitable for the other two processes). WANDERLUST is quite shiny, and provided the cover has a good sturdy piece of paper behind it, cut to exactly the same size, I hope it can stand up to use.
But mostly it just keeps up the aesthetic of my bookmaking, while using up all those offcuts and small illustrations which don’t usually work in the bigger books. It’s also nice to have something smaller for the ol’ price range. Oh holy hell, I think I told Imogen I’d do the next Craft 2.0 with her… RIGHT. Better get back to work then.
(Productivity in this new house reduced by 60% when the internet arrived. Before then, I was making a cushion cover every night out of sheer boredom, and the desire to cover every cushion in the bag (11 in total) so there wouldn’t be this giant bag of ugly cushions taking up space in my sewing room. I got three done before we were connected. And none since. Photos of completed cushions, garden I am building and new, glorious sewing room to come…)
These books and more are now on sale at the Beach Store, for $8 each! They have been beautifully displayed in an old CD rack, and when I took my mum to see them (and buy an ice cream) she bought one! Sneaky…