Ladies and Gentlemen, I am now the proud owner of two I-drafted-them-myself patterns. And I didn’t stop at simply making the patterns myself, I also sewed the little dresses (yes, they are dresses) and then named the patterns. And like my non-heroes over at Burda, I gave them girls’ names. After their intended first recipients. So, folks, a round of applause please (nods of recognition will suffice) for Lola and Wilhe!
(I’m thinking about making up useable (to other people) patterns for these bebes’ mamas so that they may replicate the joy of creating extra lashings of awesome. With their own stash bustin’ and fine skills, of course.)
So, in order of birthdays… the Wilhe Dress! I found in Rata’s Extensive Pile of Things Too Big a corduroy dress, frustratingly small in the waist but too big in all other regards. And she is a long, thin baby – how does it fit those bonny wee cherubs?
As you can see though, it was a little inefficient in the making the most of material stakes – awkward to cut out from what I had available. I’m trying to save a bit of this yellow for Rata, but needing four of these pieces meant I used a fair bit… and then have lots of fun shapes left over!
Sadly I stopped taking pictures here as I was well and truly in sewing mode and trying to get as much done as I could before Rata awoke (heaps as it turned out!). Aside from a bit of hand sewing and the hem, I was essentially finished by the time she woke up, clocking in at about 90 minutes of sewing and an hour before nap time of pattern making. Yuss!
And here it is! Finished! Minus buttonholes in this picture which I left until I got onto Kath’s sewing machine. It has a lot more room in the waist than the blue one. There are also less ruffles as that particular piece of brown fabric called for it. I may also have technically put the front and back parts of the bib around the wrong way. For ease of making this again, I’m going to alter the straps of the bib so that they button up. Sewing the pieces together was a real brain-twister, and I ended up hand sewing the straps together.
Also, after this picture was taken, it occurred to me that the top was around the wrong way, and that perhaps the buttons shouldn’t be on the front. I faffed around wondering if I could be bothered fixing that, until I realised that all I needed to do to remedy this was put the pocket on the other side (and a bit higher this time). So, huzzah! Finished! And then I found that polka dot fabric and decided to line the skirt to cover up all those fraying seams. This involved unpicking all the hand sewing of the waistband and sneaking the lining in, then re-stitching. I was just finishing the hemming when Rata reappeared with her aunties and grandmother – woot! All this AND the best afternoon at the op shops since I last went op shopping. I’ve really had quite a good run.
I have just got home from Wilhe’s birthday and can report that the dress went down very well and got lots of envious eyes from other mothers who clearly wished they were my friend too (I think). And Janieke, if you’d like a copy of the pattern, I will fix you up! Happy birthday Wilhe!
Made from the same fabric as the Wilhe Dress, this was the first one I sewed. The hem, you will see from this photograph, was extremely economical to cut out – very little went to waste in the four that I had to cut out. All I have left of that spotty fabric is enough to make a dress for Rata sometime in the future (when Lola and Wilhe have outgrown these creations, heaven forbid, perhaps…). And then that particular aspect of my stash shall be Officially Busted.
And here it is… also without buttonholes. I was kinda worried that I had made the dress too straight – that the top is about the same as the hem (there’s maybe three or four inches difference) and that Lola wouldn’t have enough room to move her legs. BUT there is a lot of room for her to grow in it, and there will be enough room for her stride now, and as she gets bigger in the chest she will also get taller and thus there will always be room for her legs to move! So I hope it will get lots of wear.
And here is the lining, an old curtain. I’ve been having some trouble finding fabric to line things as most of my stash is too awesome to be hidden away. But with the help of a few donations of old sheets from Imogen, I will be able to line things more often. Yay Imy!
So all that is left to say, really, is that I hope I don’t accidentally hit publish on this post before Wilhe’s birthday, and spoil the surprise… happy birthdays, bebes and mamas!