Today’s brief break led me to finally locating an over-locked piece of fabric, meant to be the belt of a dress I never finished, and turning it into the waistband of a skirt I never really finished but which I have been wearing for nearly two years now. My pool table skirt, made with some kind of bright green, felted wool. Insert joke about balls round about here.
(coupled with a polka-dot shirt, I look like Lady Luck in this skirt)
So this unwaistbanded skirt with dice fabric lining the pockets has finally been finished, using that same dice fabric to make a waistband. I even got round to putting a zip in! At last, this skirt may be put on in the conventional way, instead of just over my head.
(putting skirts on over my head was a revelation c.2003 when I found opshop ones with small waists and short zips couldn’t conquer my hips)
There’s a little bit of unpicking to do around the zip where the sewing machine rebelled. I don’t want you to see the appalling job I did with the buttonholes. But as far as finished skirts go, this one takes the cake for distance from start to finish, probably due to the fact that it was still wearable… until it got a bit loose and needed washing to set it back into shape…